If you live in a hard water area – it’s likely you are already experiencing the problems of limescale. But you may be wondering – what are the benefits of soft water? And why should you look into purchasing a water softener?
The truth is, if you need a water softener – you need one. For home owners, a water softener can be looked at as a long-term investment to protect and maintain the home. Find out why below.
The Benefits of Soft Water
1. It Protects you Heating & Plumbing System
Soft water can help improve and protect the home plumbing and heating system. It works to remove and breakdown existing limescale, while preventing further build-up. This can result in several positive results including:
- Lower energy bills: when there is limescale within the heating and hot water system it almost acts as an insulating barrier. This means that more energy is required to heat the pipes and water. Because soft water breaks down the scale in pipes, it can make your heating system more efficient and helps to save energy.
- A longer plumbing lifespan: soft water reduces and prevents scale in your heating and plumbing system and its pipes. This protects the system and contributes to maintaining it in tip top condition.
- Protects your boiler: Boiler and boiler repairs are expensive. Softer water helps to reduce plumbing maintenance and protects your boiler from lasting damages.
2. Household Appliances Will Last Longer
In homes with hard water, it is common to experience appliances that break and just don’t seem to last. This can be true for small appliances such as kettles, as well as expensive investments such as washing machines and dishwashers. You may even visibly be able to see the scale damaging the inside of your kettle and floating in cups of tea!
Over time, water softeners can slowly remove existing limescale inside your appliances. This prevents damage and can increase lifespan – saving you money in the long run.
3. Softer Skin & Haircare.
Families who live with hard water, often suffer with skin issues such as eczema and dry skin. This is because hard water dries out the skin and reacts with the skin’s outer barrier to increase sensitivity. Not only that, but dandruff, greasy and frizzy hair are also commonly reported side effects.
One of the biggest benefits of a water softener, is how it affects the hair and skin. Soft water reacts in a positive way with soap when washing. As a result, it can help alleviate dandruff and dry skin conditions such as eczema. You’ will also have a much better shower and bathing experience because soft water forms a great lather with soap and shampoo.
4. Unblocks Your Taps & Shower Head
Limescale blocks your taps and shower head – reducing the water pressure and flow rate from your kitchen and bathroom outlets. With soft water, you can rest assured that there will be no more blockages and your power shower can remain powerful.
5. Laundry that is Actually Clean
Due to negative reactions with soap surfactants, hard water requires more soap powder to effectively clean laundry. But once a water softener is installed, you’ll notice your washing feels softer and cleaner.
Not only that, but you can use much less soap powder and detergent, while getting better results – saving you money on household bills.
6. Less Cleaning and Cleaning Products
Water is essential when cleaning the home – whether you’re washing clothes, dishes or countertops. Limescale in the water can cause permanently damage and markings on surfaces and shower screens and therefore needs to be cleaned properly every day.
Softer water doesn’t contain limescale and mineral deposits. This means – no more soap scum or white spots on your taps and shower screens. Not only can you save time on cleaning, but you’ll also save money that would normally be spent on cleaning products and descalers.
7. Save Money on Household Bills
Studies in the UK have shown that a water softener can save an average household around £200 per year on household bills. In fact, Kinetico claim this could even go up to £400. But how? With soft water you can make savings on:
- Save on shower gels, shampoos and conditions.
- You won’t need to use expensive skincare and hair care products for dry skin and hair.
- Use less washing powders and detergents.
- You will buy and use less cleaning products.
- Longer lasting appliances.
- Lower heating and energy bills.
8. Saving the Environment
A water softener can help contribute towards saving the environment. Limescale requires intensive cleaning and harmful cleaning products. By installing a water softener, you can reduce the amount of cleaning products you use and the amount of chemicals that go down the drain. This can contribute towards helping to reducing chemical degradation in rivers.
Not only that, but by increasing the efficiency of your heating system, you’ll use less energy heating the home. Which in turn, contributes to less greenhouse gas emission.
How to Invest in a Water Softener
If you have limescale problems – investing in a water softener is a no brainer. It will save you money in the long run and protect your home now. If you are looking for the next steps, our water softening guide will help you find out everything you need to know before committing to a purchase.
Water Softener Buying Guide
Find out everything you need to know before choosing a water softener.