If you’re looking for a single tank softener the Kinetico Sumo may be the one for you. This review is a Sumo Water Softener Review, containing everything you need to know before purchasing.
What Is the Sumo Water Softener?
The Sumo 1 is a single tank water softener that is produced by Kinetico. It is a block salt water softener and unlike many other single tank products on the market, it is non-electric.
The Sumo is the latest single tank system – a similar model up to the Kinetico Kube.
Is It the Best Choice for My Home?
This softener is for small 1-2 bathroom homes or flats.
This softener is designed for small homes – so if you have a standard size family home with 2-3 bathrooms – you need a twin tank machine.
The Kinetico Sumo Review Score & Rating
Summary: What’s Great About This Softener
Efficient. Compact Size. Low Cost.
The Sumo water softener is a single tank and high flow softener that is suited for small homes and flats. This product is a mid-range product with an affordable price tag. It has an average flow rate of around 30-40L/min – which is ideal for small homes and flats which have 1 or 2 bathrooms.
It is non-electric, making it easy to use with no timers or controls. What’s more, unlike electric water softeners, the running and maintenance costs of the softener are designed to be minimal. This product also has a short regeneration time of just 12 minutes – meaning you won’t be without soft water for long.
The Sumo is manufacturer by Kinetico – a top brand in the USA and UK, therefore providing reassurance in a reliable product. If you have 1-2 bathrooms and need an affordable softener – this product is a good choice.
Summary: What’s Not So Great About This Softener
Short Warranty. Single Tank.
For single tank systems, you lose your soft water supply as the system is regenerating. The Sumo is not suited for standard homes with families of 3-4 and 2 or 3 bathrooms. This is because the flow rate and capacity of the machine is simply not large enough, and in this case your home requires a twin tank softener.
If you are looking for the most efficient model on the market – the Sumo is great when compared to other single tank systems. But you may find that twin tank systems provide better efficiency in terms of salt and water usage.
The only main downfall of the Sumo when compared to single tank systems is that the warranty is only 2 years.
The Technical Specifics:
- Design & Size
Single tank. Non- electric. Block salt.
Size dimensions hxwxd:
Performance & Efficiency
Salt usage: 270g
Water usage per regeneration: 25L.
Regeneration time: 12 minutes.
- Flow Rate & Soft Water Capacity
Max Flow Rate: 30-40L/min
Min/Max Pressure: 1-8 Bar.
Water Hardness Level: 525mg/L
- Durability & Certification
- Efficient & Quick Regeneration Time. With a Regeneration time of just 12 minutes, you won’t be without soft water for long. What’s more, the Sumo uses just 270g of salt per regeneration, making it very efficient.
- A Good Flow Rate. For a single tank system, the Sumo has a good flow rate of 30L/min.
- Non-electric. Many single tank systems on the market are electric. That means they need to be set with timers and require a power source. Kinetico don’t produce electric machines – all of their systems are efficient and non-electric. A non-electric design means the system is automatic and all you need to do is fill it up with block salt when it runs out. Not only that, but the running costs are overall lower than an electric product.
- Can Be Set to A Specific Water Hardness Level. By setting the Sumo to match your water hardness, you can predict how much soft water the machine can produce.
- A Top Quality Brand. Kinetico are renowned for good quality and customer service. Making this purchase a safe one.
- A Great Price. The price of the Sumo is entry level – making it an affordable option for small homes.
- A 2 Year Warranty. This product has a shorter warranty than most Kinetico products.
- Single Tank. When the system is regenerating you will lose your supply of soft water to the home
- Not As Efficient as Twin Tanks Models. For a single tank system the Sumo is one of the more efficient models available. However, if you have 2-3 bathrooms, a twin tank systems provide a greater efficiency overall.
The Kinetico Sumo Price, Value & Where to Buy
As far as single tank systems go – the Sumo is a great and efficient model. It is automatic, non-electric and uses block salt – making it super easy to use. It’s a great cost-effective option for small homes and is manufactured by one of the best brands you can get. When compared to other single tank softeners on the market the Sumo is way more efficient.
However, if your home has 2-3 bathrooms and you have a 3-4 person family – the capacity of the Sumo may not be enough for your home. In this case, a twin tank system is required – which means a higher cost. What’s’ more, if a long warranty is important to you – the Sumo only offers 2 years, unlike the Kinetico Premier Compact which offers 10 years.
We hope this Kinetico Sumo review has been helpful, if you want to keep researching, checkout our other reviews below.
Before you buy check out these single tank water softener reviews…
The Kinetico Essentials 8 Review
The Monarch Midi HF Review
BWT WS455 Hi Flow Review