Do you have a large home with 6 or more bathrooms? We can help you find a large water softener. This post is a Harvey Big Blue Review, containing all the information you need to know about this product.
What Is the Harvey Big Blue Water Softener?
The Harvey Big Blue is one of the largest softeners you can get. This product has a twin tank design and is actually classed to be used commercially. It is a non-electric and tablet salt fed system and can be found online in different versions, which are all the same, including TwinTec and Minimax.
Is It the Best Choice for My Home?
This softener is for large homes with 6 or more bathrooms. Its large size means it is a popular choice for semi commercial properties and can be used for offices, restaurants and B&Bs.
The Harvey Big Blue Review Score & Rating
Summary: What’s Great About This Softener
High Flow Rate. Great Capacity. Warranty.
The Big Blue Water softener has been around for a number of years and is the biggest domestic products you can buy.
It is designed for homes with 6 or more bathrooms and large properties, because it has a high flow rate of 80L/min (Vs 56L/min of softeners such as the Kinetico Premier Plus).
The Big Blue has a great salt efficiency and soft water capacity, producing over 10,000L of soft water per day. You can rest assured that there will be no pressure losses. Not only that, but it is non-electric which saves on running and maintenance costs.
The product comes with a 5 year warranty, so if you have a higher budget and plenty of space – this softener is the best choice.
Summary: What’s Not So Great About This Softener
Higher Price. Larger in Size.
At a cost of £1895- £2000 excluding installation, the Big Blue has a bigger price. But if you have a home with 6 bathrooms, it is not likely you will find a quality softener below this price mark. One thing to bear in mind about this product, is the size and colour.
It is a large machine and so you won’t be able to fit it underneath the kitchen sink – you’ll need a garage or dedicated space to install it.
Some customers also aren’t keen on the bold colour and the installation is reported to take around half a day. However, despite this, the huge capacity of the machine definitely makes it a safe option for larger properties.
The Technical Specifics:
- Design & Size
Twin tank. Non- electric. Tablet salt.
Size dimensions hxwxd: 660x490x440mm
- Performance & Efficiency
Salt usage: 1.3 – 1.6kg (can hold 65kg of salt)
Water usage per regeneration: 50L.
Regeneration time: 27 minutes.
- Flow Rate & Soft Water Capacity
Max Flow Rate: 80L/min
Soft Water Capacity: 10,600L
Min/Max Pressure: 1-8 Bar.
- Durability & Certification
5 years Warranty.
- Large capacity suitable for larger homes. With a large soft water capacity, this system is designed to supply large homes and small commercial properties with soft water.
- Large flow rate. At 80L/min, it has the highest flow rate of any domestic/semi-commercial softener. It is perfect for high flow and combi boilers.
- Very efficient. The Big Blue only uses 1.3-1.6kg of salt per regeneration and only 27L of water – despite its very large size and huge capacity.
- Non-electric & twin tank. So, a constant supply of soft water, less maintenance in general and lower running costs.
- High salt capacity. This softener is tablet salt fed and it can hold a massive 65kg of block salt. This means you won’t have to fill and replace the salt as often as other softeners.
- Large soft water capacity. Claiming to soften around 10,600 litres of water per day.
- Warranty. 5-year warranty from the manufacturer on parts.
- Great quality UK brand. Harvey are one of the best brands you can buy in the UK.
- A higher price. Larger water softeners cost more money and parts of the product are generally more expensive to replace.
- Large size and bold colour. This product won’t fit under the sink and so you will need to ensure your home has sufficient space. It is called “the Big Blue” for a good reason and its bold colour is ideal for everyone.
- Longer installation. It is thought to take longer for the installation for this softener – something to bear in mind when paying for a plumber’s time.
- Different version are the same. The Big Blue can come in different versions including the TwinTec and Minimax. Upon researching – these systems are all the same in terms of specification. This can be confusing for researching customers.
Harvey Big Blue Price, Value & Where to Buy
£1895 – £2000
You can purchase this large water softener online without installation. This twin tank system is the best choice for very large homes or small businesses and commercial properties. With a flow rate of 80L/min, it ensures no pressure drops. We don’t advise this product for smaller homes with 5 bathrooms simply due to its very large size. For homes with 4-5 bathrooms a softener such as the Harvey HVX, XL2 or the Kinetico Premier Plus would be a better option. At £1895, this system is a great price for such a large machine.
We hope this Harvey Big Blue review has been helpful, if you want to keep researching, checkout our other reviews below.
Before you buy check out these other Reviews…
The Kinetico Premier Plus Review
The Harvey HVX Water Softener Review
The Harvey XL2 Water Softener Review